One of our first projects was the design and creation of our eco-house and ELIA’s office at La Gaulette, Mauritius. We applied Natural Geometry and Solar Passive Design principles in combination with organic landscaping.
- positioning of building and arrangement of rooms relative to solar path and prevailing winds;
- special geometry of building envelope (shape and porosity);
- use of passive ventilation, including a green roof;
- high energy productivity of building (both direct and embodied energy);
- organic vegetable garden;
- rain water harvesting;
- biological recycling of grey water;
- use of renewable energy;
- composting of organic waste and recycling; and
- landscape featuring endemic and indigenous plants, among others.
We are currently working on the design of vertical green walls to further reduce the thermal mass of the building envelope.