A wonderful presentation from Janine Benyus about 12 sustainable design ideas from nature:
SOLAR PASSIVE DESIGN AND NATURAL GEOMETRY FOR HOUSE & GARDEN
Our design services apply to Solar Passive Design and Natural Geometry for house and garden. Our house at La Gaulette, here in Mauritius, exemplifies what can be done with simple ecological solutions and creative thinking. One of our main principles at ELIA is that we first apply and practice what we teach to others. Having designed and build our own eco-house and endemic garden has shown us the practical realities and limitations of what is possible at this stage in Mauritius in the eco-building industry.
From left to right: ELIA office, endemic tree (bottlepalm), North-side view of the house
WHAT WE OFFER THROUGH OUR DESIGN SERVICES
- Visioning sessions to clarify the design for house and garden. In case of existing buildings we will make an assessment of remedial measures and adjustments to reduce the ecological footprint of your building. We can work together with your architect(s) for tailor-designed solar passive building designs.
- Sizing of renewable energy plants (e.g. photovoltaic and wind) for your premises.
- Evaluation and advise with regards to grey-water recycling measures, rainwater harvesting, creation of roof garden, organic vegetable garden, endemic garden, and ecological landscaping designs.
- Retrofits for existing buildings.
- Application of Natural Geometry and Natural Energy-Flow principles to the design of your house and garden.
See our gallery for more photos of the eco-house and endemic garden